LAOS / ລາວ

Fishes of Mekong River.
With a small stylized map of the course of the Mekong River.
Fifth stamp in a set of 6, issued on 05.09.1983.
Face value: 5 Leo kip.
Printing: Offset lithography.

- Michel No. 674.
- Scott No. 485.
- StampWorld No. 674.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 672.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 497.

The Mekong River is the longest in Southeast Asia, its estimated length is 4,350 km (2,730 mi) and flows through the lands of China, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, countries in which it receives different names. Its sources are in the Himalayas, and it runs from north to south to its mouth in the South China Sea. Along the river are important cities, such as Luang Prabang and Vientiane, in Laos, and Phnom Penh, in Cambodia. In Laos it marks a large part of the borders with Myanmar and Thailand.



Map of Malta and Gozo (satellite view).
Last stamp in a set of 8, issued on 17.03.2010.
Face value: 0.37 euro.
Design: Sean Cini.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Size: 44 x 31 mm.

- AFA No. 1636.
- Michel No. 1640.
- StampWorld No. 1640.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 1664.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 1587.

Malta (official name, in Maltese, Repubblika ta 'Malta) is a southern European state, formed by a group of islands in the center of the Mediterranean Sea, about 90 km from Sicily. It is located on the edge of the African Plate, very close to the Eurasian. It is made up of the islands of Malta, which is the largest, Gozo (in Maltese: Għawdex) and Comino (Kemmuna), and the islets of Cominotto, Dellimara and the St. Paul Islands, among others. Its area is 316 km² (122 sq mi). The archipelago is made up of remains of calcareous mountain ranges. It does not have large mountains, but it does have rugged terrain with abundant karst phenomena. Its highest point is Mount Ta 'Dmejrek, 253 m (830 ft) above sea level.

Thanks to José L. Torrente for his contribution.



Pirin (Пирин) Mountains.
Second stamp in a set of 5, issued on 13.03.1962.
Face value: 2 Bulgarian stotinki.
Printing: Photogravure.
Print: 10,000,000 copies.
Size: 34 x 26 mm.

- Michel No. 1315.
- Scott No. 1231.
- StampWorld No. 1295.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 1306.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 1148.

The Pirin Mountains (Bulgarian: Пирин) are a mountain range in southwestern Bulgaria, with Vihren (Вихрен), at an altitude of 2,914 m (9,560 ft) being the highest peak. The range extends about 80 km (50 mi) from the north-west to the south-east and is about 40 km (25 mi) wide, spanning a territory of 2,585 km2 (998 sq mi). To the north Pirin is separated from Bulgaria's highest mountain range, the Rila Mountain, by the Predel saddle, while to the south it reaches the Slavyanka Mountain. To the west is located the valley of the river Struma and to the east the valley of the river Mesta separates it from the Rhodope Mountains. Pirin is dotted with more than a hundred glacial lakes and is also the home of Europe's southernmost glaciers, Snezhnika and Banski Suhodol. The northern part of the range, which is also the highest one, is protected by the Pirin National Park, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983.

Thanks to Dragan Buškulić for his contribution (https://worldofstamp2.wordpress.com/).




IV Centenary of the Colonization of Brazil.
Map of Brazil in South America.
First stamp in a set of 5, issued on 03.06.1932.
Face value: 20 Brazilian réis.
Printing: Typography.
Print: 5,000,000 copies.

- Michel No. 371.
- Scott No. 359.
- StampWorld No. 379.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 513.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 236.

The first European occupants of the coasts of present-day Brazilian territory were French and Dutch. In 1530 Portugal, which considered Brazil its own territory since 1500, expelled them, and in 1532 (date that is considered the beginning of the colonization) the first city was founded on Brazilian soil, São Vicente. In 1533 King John III divided his Brazilian possessions into fourteen hereditary captaincies and granted them to Portuguese nobles; but in 1549 he was appointed a Governor General to administer all of Portuguese America. Then, between 1763 and 1808 Brazil was a Viceroyalty, and in 1808 it became a kingdom when the Portuguese royal family settled there, after the occupation of their country by Napoleonic troops. On December 16, 1815, a United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves was established and Brazil was granted a privilege of autonomy. On September 7, 1822, the Empire of Brazil declared their Independence, recognized by Portugal in the Treaty of Rio de Janeiro, on August 29, 1825.




Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries Conference, Caracas.

Angel Falls (Salto Ángel).
First stamp in a set of 10, issued as minisheet on 26.09.2000.
Face value: 300 Venezuelan bolívares.
Printed by Gráficas Armitano, Caracas.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Size: 38 x 32 mm.

- Michel No. 3394.
- Scott No. 1616a.
- StampWorld No. 3423.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 3650.
- Yvert et Tellier No. F 2169A.

Angel Falls (Spanish: Salto Ángel; Pemon language: Kerepakupai Vená) is the world's tallest uninterrupted waterfall, with a height of 979 meters (3,212 ft) and a plunge of 807 m (2,648 ft). The waterfall drops over the edge of the Auyán-tepui mountain in the Canaima National Park (Spanish: Parque Nacional Canaima), a UNESCO World Heritage site in the Gran Sabana region of Bolívar State. The falls are along a fork of the Río Kerepacupai Merú which flows into the Churún River, a tributary of the Carrao River, itself a tributary of the Orinoco River. The waterfall has been known as the Angel Falls since the mid-20th century; they are named after Jimmie Angel, a U.S. aviator, who was the first person to fly over the falls on November 16, 1933. 



Costa Rican Electrical Industry.
Cachí Dam.
Airmail. Last stamp in a set of 6, issued on 24.04.1967.
Face value: 50 cents of Costa Rican colón.
Printed by Fotolit Ltda., San José.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Size: 34 x 27 mm.

- Michel No. 710.
- Scott No. C442.
- StampWorld No. 715.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 762.
- Yvert et Tellier No. PA 434.

The Cachí (Represa de Cachí) dam is located in the course of the Reventazón River, specifically in the Ujarrás Valley, near the town of Cachí (Cartago province). The first unit of the hydroelectric plant, managed by the Costa Rican Electricity Institute (Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad, ICE), came into operation on May 7, 1966, and the second, on January 12, 1967. The dam forms a reservoir, known as Lago de Cachí, 3.24 km(1.25 sq mi).



100 Years from Mount Olympus First Ascent.
Second stamp in a set of 4, issued on 19.07.2013.
Face value: 0,10 euro.
Printing: Offset typography and hot stamping.
Print: 1,000,000 copies.
Size: 40.5 x 40 mm.

- Karamitsos No. 2764.
- Michel No. 2722.
- Scott No. 2582.
- StampWorld No. 2678.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 2782.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 2669.

Olympus or Mount Olympus (in Greek: Όλυμπος) is the highest mountain in Greece and the second of the Balkan Peninsula (after Musala, in Bulgaria), with 2,918 m (9,573 ft) of altitude. Located between the Greek regions of Thessaly and Macedonia, it has been a Greek nature reserve since 1938 and a natural heritage of the European Union since 1981, in its category of biosphere reserve. The first documented ascent is that of the expedition of Christos Kakkalos, Frédéric Boissonnas and Daniel Baud-Bovy on August 2, 1913.
For Greek mythology, Olympus was the home of the Olympians (Olympian gods), the main gods of the Greek pantheon, presided over by Zeus. The ancient Greeks believed that on the summits of the mountain there were built glass mansions in which the gods dwelt.



Definitive stamps. 2nd anniversary of accession of King Zog I.
Lake Butrint.
First stamp in a set on 11, issued on 01.09.1930.
Face value: 1 Albanian qindarkë.
Printing: Photogravure.
Size: 24 x 21 mm.

- Michel No. 217.
- Scott No. 250.
- StampWorld No. 247.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 277.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 221.

Lake Butrint (Albanian: Liqeni i Butrintit) is a salt lagoon south of Sarandë, located in direct proximity of the Ionian Sea. It is surrounded by dense forested hills, rocky coast and complemented by saltwater and freshwater marshlands. The lake has a length of 7.1 km (4.4 mi) and a width of 3.3 km (2.1 mi), with a surface area of 16 km2 (6.18 sq mi). The maximum depth of the lake is 24.4 m (80 ft). At the south, the Vivari Channel connects the lagoon to the sea. The southern part of the lake is located within the boundaries of the Butrint National Park and has been recognized as a wetland of international importance under the Ramsar Convention. The lake has also been identified as an Important Area for the conservation of Birds and Plants.

Thanks to Dragan Buškulić for his contribution (https://worldofstamp2.wordpress.com/).




International Trade Fair of Brno.
Siplified map of Europe.
First stamp in a set of 3, issued on 14.08.1961.
Face value: 30 haléřů of Czechoslovak koruna.
Design and engraving: Jaroslav Goldschmied.
Printing: Photogravure and recess.
Print: 3,750,000 copies.
Size: 44 x 27 mm.

- AFA No. 1129.
- Michel No. 1283.
- POFIS No. 1195.
- Scott No. 1060.
- StampWorld No. 1280.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 1240.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 1162.

The city of Brno has a tradition of fairs, which is inseparable from the industrial development of the city, an important industrial, scientific and logistical center in Central Europe. Annual markets and trade exhibitions have been held in Brno since 1243. As a result of the boom in the textile industry in the city, the first trade fairs were held in the 18th century. Since 1821 regular trade exhibitions have been held in Brno. Wholesale traders from Vienna, Linz, Saxony, Hungary and Turkey attended the annual markets in the city 104,000 visitors attended the Imperial Jubilee Exhibition in 1888, the largest exhibition held in Brno. From 1922 to 1927 the Brno Annual Exposition Markets were held regularly, and the tradition has continued until now with the International Trade Fair in the Brno Exhibition Centre (opened in 1928). Brno is also known as "The capital of trade fairs".

Thanks to Kazimierz R. Leszczyński for his contribution (http://leszkarozdub.blogspot.com).


PAKISTAN / پاكِستان

Golden Jubilee of First Ascent of K2.
Mount K2.
Stamp issued on 31.07.2004.
Face value: 5 Pakistani rupees.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Size: 29 x 34 mm.

- Michel No. 1215.
- Scott No. 1039.
- StampWorld No. 1232.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 1252.

K2, at 8,611 m (28,251 ft) above sea level, is the second highest mountain on Earth, after Mount Everest. It is located in the Karakoram mountain range, partly in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan-administered Kashmir and partly in a Chinese-administered territory of the Kashmir region included in the Taxkorgan Tajik Autonomous County of Xinjiang. After several failed attempts since 1902, the summit was reached for the first time on July 31, 1954 by climbers Lino Lacedelli and Achille Compagnoni, members of an Italian expedition led by Ardito Desio. The name K2 is derived from the notation used by the Great Trigonometric Survey of British India. In 1856, Thomas Montgomerie made the first survey of the Karakoram from Mount Harmukh, about 210 km (130 mi) to the south, and drew the two most prominent peaks, labeling them K1 and K2, where the K stands for Karakoram. The official name of the mountain in China is Qogir (乔戈里 ).



Swiss Alps.
Piz Palü.
Third stamp in a set of 4, issued on 17.09.1970.
Face value: 30 cents of Swiss franc.
Design: Alex Walter Diggelmann (1902-1987).
Engraving: Courvoisier S.A.
Printing: Photogravure.
Print: 30,295,000 copies.
Sizw: 36 x 26 mm.

- AFA No. 926.
- Michel No. 931.
- Scott No. 519.
- StampWorld No. 925.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 799.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 866.
- Zumstein No. 486.

Piz Palü is a mountain in the western Rhaetian Alps, in the Swiss canton of Grisons, on the border with the Italian region of Lombardia. It is a large glacial massif belonging to the Bernina range, with three main peaks: the main or central summit (Muot dal Palü) 3901 m (12,798 ft); the eastern summit (Piz Palü Orientale), 3,882 m (12,736 ft) and the western summit (Piz Spinas), 3,823 m (12,543 ft). On the north side of the mountain are four glaciers.




Hammamet Colloquium. Campaign against Desertification.
Stamp issued on 18.05.1978.
Face value: 200 Malian francs.
Design: Odette Baillais (b. 1929).
Printed by EDILA, Geneva.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Size: 53 x 31 mm.

- Michel No. 646.
- Scott No. 306.
- StampWorld No. 646.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 645.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 307.

In 1975, after eleven years of persistent drought throughout the Sahel, which caused famines and massive emigration, a program against desertification and for the protection of agriculture in the Mopti region was launched through the construction of small reservoirs that allowed the permanent availability of water, the restoration of the water table and, with it, the increase in agricultural and livestock productivity, which led to a decrease in the exodus of the rural population (which represented 72% of the total population of the country). At the same time, the planting of eucalyptus was started to stop desertification. These interventions turned out to be very effective. Similar interventions were carried out in other regions of the country, as Tombouctou, which are also heavily affected by desertification.



Airmail local motives.
Lake Tana.
Airmail. Seventh stamp in a set of 11, issued on 07.02.1938.
Face value: 2 Italian lire.
Printing: Recess.
Printed by Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato, Officina Carte-Valori, Roma.
Size: 40 x 24 mm.

- Michel No. 27.
- Sassone No. A7.
- Scott No. C7.
- StampWorld No. 27.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 27.
- Unificato No. A7.
- Yvert et Tellier No. PA 7.

Italian East Africa (Italian: Africa Orientale Italiana, AOI) was an Italian colony in the Horn of Africa. It was formed in 1936 through the merger of Italian Somalia, Italian Eritrea, and the newly occupied Ethiopian Empire, conquered in the Second Italo-Ethiopian War. The colony was divided into six governorates. During the Second World War, Italian East Africa was occupied by a British-led force including colonial units and Ethiopian guerrillas in November 1941. After the war, Italian Somalia and Eritrea came under British administration, while Ethiopia regained its independence.

Lake Tana (Amharic: ጣና ሐይቅ) is the largest lake in Ethiopia and the source of the Blue Nile. Located in Amhara Region in the north-western Ethiopian Highlands, the lake is approximately 84 km (52 mi) long and 66 km (41 mi) wide, with a maximum depth of 15 m (49 ft), and an elevation of 1,788 m (5,866 ft). Lake Tana is fed by the Gilgel Abay, Reb and Gumara rivers. Its surface area ranges from 3,000 to 3,500 km2 (1,200 to 1,400 sq mi), depending on season and rainfall. The lake level has been regulated since the construction of the control weir where the lake discharges into the Blue Nile. This controls the flow to the Blue Nile Falls (Tis Abbai) and hydro-power station. In 2015, the Lake Tana region was nominated as a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Lake Tana was formed by volcanic activity, blocking the course of inflowing rivers in the early Pleistocene epoch, about 5 million years ago.

Thanks to Vairo Gregori for his contribution (https://ternifil.org/).


YUGOSLAVIA (Croatia) / JUGOSLAVIJA (Hrvatska).

Tourist sites.
Second stamp in a set of 6, issued on 06.07.1965.
Face value: 30 Yugoslav dinar.
Design: Ɖ. Gorbunov.
Printed by 
Zavod za izradu novčanica, Beograd.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Print: 1,990,453 copies.
Size: 30 x 36 mm.

- Michel No. 1126.
- Scott No. 780.
- StampWorld No. 1161.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 1166.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 1021.

Šibenik is a city in Croatia, the capital of the Šibenik-Knin county. It is located on the coast of the Adriatic Sea, next to the mouth of the Krka River. Its population, in 2011, was 46,332 inhabitants. Šibenik Bay is one of the best natural harbors in the Adriatic and is characterized by a very jagged coastline. Off its coasts are numerous islands along with many islets: Prvić, Zlarin, Žirje, Kakan, Kaprije and Obonjan stand out among the islands. The city has its exit to the sea through the Sveti Ante channel (perfectly visible on the stamp). The municipality of Šibenik comprises 32 urban settlements. It is one of the oldest cities on the Croatian Adriatic coast, founded in the 9th century.

Thanks to Dragan Buškulić for his contribution (https://worldofstamp2.wordpress.com/).



RHODESIA (now Zimbabwe).

Definitive stamps.
Victoria Falls.
Last stamp in a set of 15, issued on 16.08.1978.
Face value: 2 Rhodesian dollars.
Design: D. Myles.
Printed by Mardon Printers, Salisbury.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Size: 35 x 30 mm.

- Michel No. 220.
- Scott No. 407.
- StampWorld No. 220.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 569.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 314.

Victoria Falls (in Sotho language, Mosi-oa-Tunya, "The Smoke That Thunders"; in Tonga language, Shungu Namutitima, "Boiling Water") is a waterfall on the Zambezi River located on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe, and is one of the world's largest waterfalls due to its width of 1,708 m (5,604 ft). The Scottish missionary and explorer David Livingstone is believed to have been the first European to view the Victoria Falls on November 16, 1855, from what is now known as Livingstone Island, one of two land masses in the middle of the river, immediately upstream from the falls near the Zambian shore. Livingstone named his sighting in honour of Queen Victoria. The 101 m (331 ft) tall the Eastern Cataract is located in the territory of Zambia. Victoria Falls were declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1989, protecting an area of 8,780 ha. Since 2010 they are integrated into the Kavango-Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area.

Rhodesia is a historical region in southern Africa whose formal boundaries evolved between the 1890s and 1980. Demarcated and named by the British South Africa Company (BSAC), which governed it until the 1920s, it thereafter saw administration by various authorities. It was bisected by a natural border, the Zambezi river. The territory to the north of the Zambezi was officially designated Northern Rhodesia by the company, and has been Zambia since 1964; that to the south, which the company dubbed Southern Rhodesia, became Zimbabwe in 1980. The term Rhodesia was first used to refer to the region by white settlers in the 1890s who informally named their new home after Cecil Rhodes, the company's founder and managing director.



Airplane over landscapes.
Hinterstoder. Schiederweiher and Groβer Piel.
Airmail. First stamp in a set of 3, issued on 05.05.1947.
Face value: 3 Austrian schilling.
Design: Heinrich Blechner (1895-1983).
Engraving: Rupert Franke (1888-1971).
Printing: Recess.
Print: 720,000 copies.
Size: 30 x 39 mm.

- AFA No. 711.
- ANK No. 823.
- Michel No. 825.
- Scott No. C50.
- StampWorld No. 835.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 1020.
- Yvert et Tellier No. PA 50.

The Schiederweiher is an artificial lake in Hinterstoder, Upper Austria, created by impounding the river Krumme Steyr, formed from 1897 to 1902 by Johann Schieder master builder. The pond resides at the altitude of 612 m above sea level at the foot of the Großer Priel mountain. It has roughly a surface of 2 ha with a depth of 1 to 1.5 m (3.28 to 4.92 ft). In 2018 the Schiederweiher was voted most beautiful site in Austria.

The Großer Priel is, at 2,515 m (8,251 ft) above the Adriatic sea, the highest mountain of the Totes Gebirge range, located in the Traunviertel region of Upper Austria. It ranks among the ultra prominent peaks of the Alps.



Tian Shan Mountains (天山).
Third stamp in a set of 4, issued on 08.08.1996.
Face value: 50 Chinese renminbi fēn.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Size: 31 x 51 mm.

- Michel No. 2739.
- Scott No. 2702.
- StampWorld No. 2790.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 4129.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 3415.

The Tian Shan (Chinese: 天山), meaning the Mountains of Heaven or the Heavenly Mountain, is a large system of mountain ranges located in Central Asia, in the border region between Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and the People's Republic of China, specifically with Xinjiang. The highest peak in the Tian Shan is Jengish Chokusu (in Chinese: 托木尔峰), at 7,439 meters (24,406 ft) high, on the border with Kyrgyzstan. Its lowest point is the Turpan Depression, which is 154 m (505 ft) below sea level. In 2013, the UNESCO World Heritage Committee chose the eastern part of the Tian Mountains, in the Chinese Xinjiang region, as a World Heritage Site.


ISRAEL / יִשְׂרָאֵל‎ - إِسْرَائِيل

First stamp in a set of 3, issued on 05.11.1974.
Face value: 0.25 Israeli lira.
Printing: Photogravure.
Size: 31 x 26 mm.

- Michel No. 623.
- Scott No. 465A.
- StampWorld No. 622.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 498.
- Yvert et Tellier No. 533.

Arava or Arabah (Hebrew: הָעֲרָבָה; Arabic: وادي عربة) is a desert area south of the Dead Sea basin, which is part of the border between Israel and Jordan. Until the beginning of the 20th century, the area that covered almost the entire length of what is now called the Jordan Rift Valley, between the southern end of the Sea of Galilee and the Gulf of Aqaba, was considered by this name, and included the valley of the Jordan River between the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea, the Dead Sea itself and what is today commonly called the Arava Valley. Currently, the term is restricted only to this southern section. It is 166 km (103 miles) long, from the Gulf of Aqaba to the southern shore of the Dead Sea. The area is drained by several streams of seasonal course, which in some places form gorges, like the one seen in the stamp.

Thanks to Dragan Buškulić for his contribution (https://worldofstamp2.wordpress.com/).




Famous East Africa Mountains.
Mount Kilimanjaro.
Minisheet issued on 24.8.2006.
Face value: 1000 + 1000 Tanzanian shilingi.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Size: 130 x 100 mm.

- Michel No. BL595.
- Scott No. 2434.
- StampWorld No. 4439-4440.
- Stanley Gibbons No. MS 2552a.

Mount Kilimanjaro is a dormant volcano in northeastern Tanzania, near the Kenyan border. It has three volcanic cones: Shira, 4,005 m (13,140 ft); Mawenzi, 5,149 m (16,893 ft); and Kibo, with Uhuru Peak, 5,895 m (19,341 ft) at the rim of its crater. It is the highest mountain in Africa. It is integrated into the Kilimanjaro National Park and is drained by a network of streams and by the Lumi and Pangani rivers. Kilimanjaro is a major climbing destination: after numerous failed attempts by various climbers, Hans Meyer and Ludwig Purtscheller, with African guides and porters, were the first Europeans to reach the top on October 6, 1889.

Thanks to Kumar Biswas for his contribution (https://kumar-omnibus.blogspot.com/).



Airmail definitive stamps.
Map of Panama.
Stamp issued on 04.08.1949.
Face value: 5 cents of Panamanian balboa.
Printing: Recess.
Size: 29 x 25 mm,

- Michel No. 300.
- Scott No. C112.
- StampWorld No. 377.
- Stanley Gibbons No. 232.
- Yvert et Tellier No. PA 105.

In 1501, Rodrigo de Bastidas was the first European to reach the Isthmus of Panama. In 1502, on his fourth voyage, Columbus reached the Atlantic coast of the isthmus. In 1510, Vasco Núñez de Balboa founded Santa María la Antigua del Darién, the first city in current Panamanian territory, called the Kingdom of Tierra Firme, and three years later he undertook the conquest of the interior of the isthmus: on September 23, 1513 he discovered the coast of the Pacific Ocean, which he called Mar del Sur (South Sea), which he took possession of in the name of the Crown of Castile. In 1751 Tierra Firme came under the jurisdiction of the Viceroyalty of New Granada. On November 28, 1821, Panama proclaimed its independence from the Crown of Spain and joined Gran Colombia. After several unsuccessful attempts, on November 3, 1903, it separated from Colombia and the independence of the Republic of Panama was proclaimed.